- The V-Class Marco Polo combines practicality with design appeal and stylishness.
- Elegant design, high-quality materials and a light colour scheme, together with discreet ambient lighting, give the Marco Polo an unprecedented level of high-class appeal for the compact camper van segment. The vehicle also makes a winning impression with its highly practical features – from the stowage facilities and seating/sleeping arrangements to the camping equipment for outdoors.
- The V-Class Marco Polo is launched in two variants, the Marco Polo and the Marco Polo HORIZON
- Marco Polo HORIZON: Price: starting at INR 1.38 cr |Bookings open: Now
- Marco Polo: Price: starting at INR 1.46 cr | Bookings open: Now
- Mercedes-Benz also unveiled the future of mobility the unique Volocopter
- Presented a model of the MBUX Interior Assist, Mercedes’ intuitive controls system, the software chain of which was developed entirely at MBRDI - Bangalore
- Participation from the top teams of the Mercedes-Benz Digital Challenge 2019 presenting innovative engineering solutions under the theme ‘Restless for Tomorrow’
Pune: India’s largest luxury carmaker Mercedes-Benz and Mercedes-Benz’s largest R&D facility outside Germany- MBRDI; presented an impressive display of innovative products and displayed the future of automobile technology, which these two companies offer for the discerning Indian as well as global customers. While Mercedes-Benz India launched the unique V-Class Marco Polo and Marco Polo HORIZON luxury vehicles in India and showcased the Volocopter which is future of sustainable mobility; MBRDI highlighted the cutting-edge research work on MBUX undertaken in Bangalore and also wrapped up the Hackathon 2019. The Marco Polo was launched in India by Martin Schwenk, Managing Director & CEO, Mercedes-Benz India and together with Manu Saale, Managing Director and CEO, MBRDI; Mercedes-Benz unveiled the mobility of the future Volocopter.
The Marco Polo takes its body design from its base vehicle, the V-Class, giving an impression of unexpectedly generous space, and nonetheless showing compact exterior dimensions. Thanks to powerful and efficient engines, the 9G-TRONIC suspension, and high safety standards, the Marco Polo is suitable for long journeys and at the same time, it is easy to drive/handle as a passenger car.
Speaking about the launch, Martin Schwenk, Managing Director & CEO, Mercedes-Benz India commented, “The V-Class and V-Class Elite pioneered the luxury MPV segment in India and has witnessed much success ever since their launch. We are excited to expand the segment and launch the Marco Polo which is based on the V-Class, and create a new benchmark in the luxury MPV segment. Thanks to the compact dimensions of the Marco Polo and vehicle technology inherited from the V-Class, the Marco Polo and Marco Polo HORIZON are suitable for long journeys and at the same time for day-to-day and urban usage. The Marco Polo combines functionality with utmost luxury, unparalleled comfort, convenience, and uncompromised safety, all of which illustrate true characteristics of a Mercedes-Benz vehicle. We will continue to expand our portfolio with innovative products and sustainable technology in India.”
Manu Saale, Managing Director & CEO, Mercedes-Benz India said, “To us luxury and technology are concepts that are so closely linked, that they represent two sides of the same coin. As automobile inventors and innovators, it is imperative for us to come up with breakthrough disruptions in the auto space that set new industry benchmarks while providing convenience, ease and a comprehensive portfolio of choices to our customers. We believe that the future of mobility should be intelligent, clean and accessible, and we are confident in our innovations and sustainable concepts in this regard. Through our connected car technologies such as the MBUX, our latest concept car VISION AVTR and the trailblazing innovation of the Volocopter, we want to drive our customers into the future.”
Development story of MBUX (MBRDI):
At the Consumer Electronics Show 2019, Mercedes-Benz launched the new MBUX (Mercedes-Benz User Experience) Interior Assist with its CLA Coupé. The intuitive controls system operates in non-contact mode and recognizes gestures and movements to create a smart and seamless experience for the user, both in sunlight and in complete darkness. Software experts from the Infotainment & Connected Car department at Mercedes-Benz Research and Development India have played a key role in the development of the MBUX. While the overall product responsibility remained with RD experts from Daimler AG, the end-to-end software chain for the MBUX Interior Assist was successfully developed at the Bangalore RD center.
What3Words: Mercedes-Benz has built what3words location technology into its MBUX navigation system. Mercedes-Benz is committed to offering a premium and intuitive customer experience, and what3words ensures that drivers reach their destination seamlessly, every single time. By integrating what3words into their vehicles, Mercedes-Benz customers can benefit from a precise and incredibly simple way to talk about any location. what3words is the only addressing system that allows for accurate and error-free location input by voice. Mercedes-Benz recognised the system’s potential and built it into its infotainment system, removing the challenges associated with in-car navigation and providing a smooth driving experience.
Chris Sheldrick, CEO and co-founder what3words commented, 'We are thrilled to be offering what3words location technology in the Indian market with Mercedes-Benz - having already seen great adoption with them globally. India is an incredible country. It's a blend of vast, open landscapes paired with thriving megacities - but both lack reliable and accurate addressing. what3words solves that problem, allowing drivers to navigate to the correct place, every time.'
Volocopter: Urban Air Mobility
The Volocopter wrote history in 2011, when it completed the very first manned flight of an electrically powered multicopter. Since then the German company has demonstrated flights in Dubai, Singapore, and Stuttgart. The pioneers in the development of electrical air taxis that take off and land vertically (eVTOLs), Volocopter builds aircraft that are based on drone technology and carry two people. The company will establish Urban Air Mobility (UAM) in addition to current transportation options in megacities globally. The aim is to offer affordable on-demand air taxi services and save people time by flying them safely to their destination. As such Volocopter aims at opening up a completely new dimension to urban mobility. Currently, the company is striving for commercial certification through the European Aviation Safety Authority and expects to open the first commercial routes within two to four years. At the Delhi auto show, a VoloCity 1:3 scale model will be on display.
V-Class Marco Polo:
The compact camper is ready any time – for vacation, spontaneous weekend trips out in the nature instead of staying in a hotel, for extended shopping trips with the entire family or even for driving to work. Therefore, the Marco Polo offers a maximum of opportunities to be independent, free and spontaneous.
Key Product Features of Marco Polo:
- Standard safety features include windowbags and thorax-pelvis sidebags for the driver and front passenger, ATTENTION ASSIST, which can warn against inattention and drowsiness.
- 360 degree reversing camera
- LED Intelligent Light System
- Vehicle is also available with AGILITY CONTROL Features the basic Mercedes me connect services
Key highlights of Marco Polo:
- Room for up to four people to sleep comfortably on the 2-seater bench / berth with an electro pneumatic backrest/in the roof bed
- Four seats as standard, with the option to extend to up to six seats
- Kitchenette with hob with two gas burners, sink and integral refrigerator and a folding table
- Diverse stowage options in cupboards, drawers and in the roof stowage box
- Fresh water and waste water tank
- Exterior power connection plus 230V and USB socket
Standard equipment for Living of the Marco Polo:
- Cupboard module with kitchenette and trim in high-gloss black with piano-lacquer look
- 2 drawers at top with self-closing feature
- A large drawer bottom right with self-closing feature
- Floor unit on left with intermediate bottom and sliding door, table integrated into cupboard
- 38 l fresh water tank, 40 l wastewater tank
- Compressor refrigerator, 40 l capacity
- Rear right power vent window in the rear
- Exterior connection for 230V socket and lockable fresh water filler neck
- Floor covering in yacht-decking look creates a high-quality, pleasant atmosphere
- Comfort seat for driver and front passenger with impressive ergonomics and a flexible, practical swivel feature
- Extendable awning
- Camping table with two folding chairs
Standard Equipment for Sleeping – Marco Polo
- 2-seater bench as comfort berth with bed extension (bed area approx. 2.03 m x 1.13 m)
- Pneumatic seat bolsters and one drawer
- Easy electric pop-up roof pop-up roof with roof bed for two people
- Blinds in the rear and a curtain for the rear windshield for shade and privacy
Engine & Transmission:
With the Marco Polo Camper van based on the V-Class, Mercedes-Benz India introduces another BS VI diesel vehicle. A 1950 cc diesel engine that churns out 163 hp and 380 Nm of torque will power the Marco Polo and Marco Polo Horizon.
The Marco Polo HORIZON recreational vehicle
The Marco Polo Horizon is a revelation for anyone fond of spontaneous and stylish adventure tours, with the agility and the driving comfort of a passenger car that can deliver one to their dream destinations feeling relaxed.
Some key highlights comprises:
- Room for up to five people to sleep comfortably on the 3-seater bench and in the roof canopy bed
- Five seats as standard, with the option to extend to up to seven seats
- Multiple seating options available, e.g. comfort seating comprising five seats in the rear
- Electric sliding doors on the rear
- Manual Pop-Up roof
- Extendable awning
- Table package available as an option
- Opaque curtains in the rear and for the rear windscreen for privacy
- Comfort seat for driver and front passenger with impressive ergonomics and a flexible, practical swivel feature
For more details, please visit www.mercedes-benz.co.in
Media Contact: Mercedes-Benz India Pvt. Ltd.:
Chhaya Tiwari | Chhaya.firstname.lastname@example.org | +91 9594746903
Ira Pradhan | email@example.com | +91 98806 77071
About Mercedes-Benz India
Established in 1994, Mercedes-Benz India, which celebrated its 25th anniversary in India, pioneered the luxury car market in the country and boasts of more than 130 years of cutting-edge innovation in the luxury automobile industry globally. Set up in 2009, Mercedes-Benz India’s world-class production facility is spread over 100 acres in Chakan near Pune. Since June 2015, Mercedes-Benz India also commenced production from its new expanded production facility located in the same premises.
Mercedes-Benz India is part of Mercedes-Benz’s Global Production Network. It plays an important role in the CKD/MVP production network in Brazil, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam. At these locations, Mercedes-Benz produces vehicles in various extension levels for domestic markets.
The production facility carries an investment of more than INR 2,200 crores and has the largest installed production capacity for any luxury carmaker in India. Mercedes-Benz India also has the largest network spread amongst any luxury carmaker, with presence in 48 Indian cities through 97 outlets. Through the exclusive AMG Performance Centers located in six cities including New Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Kochi, and Pune, the AMG performance sub-brand of Mercedes-Benz also boasts of a strong retail network presence in the country.
October 2019 also marked the introduction of Mercedes me connect and E-Commerce platform, the new digital initiatives for the best customers experience in India. Mercedes-Benz India now boast of the entire portfolio having ‘connected cars’. The company celebrated the Adapter’s Day in November 2019 and it already have added 1000+ MB customers as a part of “Connected” ecosystem in the last 30 days. Mercedes-Benz India is the first Indian carmaker to rollout a BS VI vehicle (S 350d) ‘made in India, for India’ in January 2018. The company now has a complete portfolio of BS VI cars well ahead of the implementation of BS VI regulations from 1.4.2020.
Mercedes-Benz India product portfolio comprises the locally produced Mercedes Maybach S 560, S-Class, E-Class Long Wheelbase, C-Class and the GLA, GLC, long wheelbase GLE, G350d SUVs. Completely Built imported cars portfolio includes the V-Class, V-Class Elite, CLS, C-Class Cabriolet, the S 600 Guard and the exciting AMG range.
‘Restless for Tomorrow’ is Mercedes-Benz India’s mantra for 2020. Today’s Indians are increasingly redefining themselves. This generation is not defined by age; restlessness is a state of mind, not a date of birth. They are restless and so is our brand. The brand mantra for the year 2020 is ‘Restless for Tomorrow’, this year is going to be a year of innovation and sustainable luxury mobility. Mercedes-Benz India also took a firm step towards Electro mobility with the launch of ‘EQ’ brand in India in January 2020. Mercedes-Benz launched the AMG GT 63S 4MATIC+ and also unveiled the New Mercedes-AMG A 35 4MATIC and the New GLA SUV at the 15th Auto Expo. Mercedes-Benz India successfully retained its market leadership for the fifth year in a row and recorded retail sales of 13,786 units in the period January-December 2019. In Q4 2019, the company recorded the best ever Q4 with 3781 units sold, a growth of 3.3%.
About Mercedes-Benz R&D India (MBRDI)
Mercedes-Benz R&D India (MBRDI), headquartered in Bengaluru was founded in 1996 as a captive unit to support Daimler’s research, IT and product development activities. We focus on topics ranging from computer-aided design and simulations (CAD, CAE) for powertrain, chassis and exteriors to embedded systems, telematics and developing various IT applications and tools. The satellite office in Pune specializes in interior component designs and IT engineering. The establishment of MBRDI is in line with the Daimler group’s ambition to attract the world’s best engineering talent and form a global footprint for its R&D and IT competencies. MBRDI also aims to partner closely with suppliers in India for its activities in product development and IT services. It is now one of the largest global development centres outside Germany, employing more than 5000 skilled engineers; and has established itself as a valuable partner to all business units and brands of Daimler worldwide.