The ‘World’s Best Car’ now ‘Made in India’: Mercedes-Benz starts the local production of the most advanced S-Class ever, in India
The ‘World’s Best Car’ now ‘Made in India’: Mercedes-Benz starts the local production of the most advanced S-Class ever, in India
Mercedes-Benz now produces 13 models from its state-of-art production facility in Chakan, Pune
The New S-Class introduces for the first time in India an innovative ‘Car to X’ communications revolutionizing the use of modern telematics
Mercedes-Benz India has retailed more than 8300 units of the S-Class to the Indian customers
New technological innovations introduced in the S-Class production process including robots, various AR/VR based training
- With safety as one of its primary feature, the new S-Class now also has the Driving Assistance Package 5.0, latest generation with new and improved functions
- Includes sophisticated Advanced Driver Assistance systems (ADAS) such as Active Brake Assist, Pre-Safe Plus, Pre-Safe Impulse Side, Active Parking Assist, Active Blind Spot Assist, Active Steering Assist, Evasive Steering Assist, Active Distance Assist Distronic and Attention Assist
- Digital lights with over a million pixels per headlamp - illuminates the road like an HD projector, gives ideal lighting conditions optimally adjusted to other road users and the surrounding conditions
- With a new real-time Car-to-X communication, the new S-Class also captures potholes, speed bumps and 6 other road safety hazards - notifying all other connected Mercedes-Benz cars of hazards in vicinity via display and audio alerts
- With a focus on the comfort and well-being of its passengers, S-Class features Rear Screen Entertainment System (RSES) that provides best in class entertainment and massage control
- Play Netflix and other OTT content with Burmester® 3D Surround Sound system on RSES via mini HDMI port
- Rear massage seats functionality provides the best comfort and 10 different massage programs to choose from
- Burmester® 3D surround sound system with 15 speakers and a total output of 710 Watts that adjusts music and sound dynamically to driving conditions with sophisticated vehicle noise compensation (VNC)
- 19-inch multi-twin-spoke light-alloy wheels aerodynamically optimized, painted in black with a high-sheen finish, with 255/45 R 19 tyres
- Service packages:
o Compact Package: S450 (Rs. 82,900 for 2 years) | S 450 (Rs.93,500 for 2 years)
- Price: Rs. 1.57 crores for S 350 d and Rs. 1.62 crores for S 450 4MATIC
Pune: Mercedes-Benz India today rolled-out the all-new S-Class from the assembly lines of its state-of-art production facility in Chakan, Pune. Referred to as the ‘Best Car in the World’, the new S-Class represents fascination of the brand and redefines the automotive luxury segment with numerous human centric innovations around driver assistance, protection and interaction. Not only does the S-Class become much more intelligent, it also takes the driving experience to an altogether new level.
The ‘Made in India’ all-new S-Class was rolled-out of the company’s assembly lines by Martin Schwenk, Managing Director and CEO, and Piyush Arora, Executive Director, Operations, Mercedes-Benz India and will be available for ordering across all Mercedes-Benz franchise partners across the country and on Mercedes-Benz India’s e-commerce channel (www.shop.mercedes-benz.co.in)
With an overwhelming response to the CBU “Launch edition” of the S-class, Mercedes-Benz now offers the Indian customers the locally manufactured version. The S-Class production involves the use of latest technology and innovations at Mercedes-Benz India’s modern production facility at Chakan, Pune. The high level of refinement, deployment of advanced technologies and flexible processes ensure the production quality conforms to the most rigorous global standards, and sets new benchmark for manufacturing of luxury cars in India.
The new S-Class uses digitalization for a car that responds empathetically to the needs and wishes of its driver and passengers. With the introduction of the new S-Class, Mercedes-Benz continues to raise the bar in design innovation, class performance and cutting-edge technology in the luxury automotive segment.
Martin Schwenk, Managing Director & CEO, Mercedes-Benz India commented, “Each new generation of the S-Class is always highly anticipated and sets new standard for the automotive industry to pursue. The current ‘World Luxury Car’ the new S-Class underscores MercedesBenz’s ambition of introducing the most desirable products with highest standards in innovation, technology, safety and comfort like never before. We are for instance, introducing for the first time, an innovative ‘car to x communication’ for the Indian market, which captures potholes, speed bumps or traffic hazards and warns other Mercedes-Benz users in the vicinity. This is a tailor made solution for specific conditions which sets a new benchmark in modern day use of telematics in cars, enhancing comfort and safety.”
“We are in particular overwhelmed with the tremendous response to the New Generation SClass and to cater to the increased demand, we are now commencing the local production. We are confident the locally made S-Class will continue to retain its high loyalty from our discerning customers in India, having an unmatched aspirational value.” added Mr. Schwenk.
Piyush Arora, Executive Director, Operations, Mercedes-Benz India commented, “The New S-Class is our flagship product and one of the most sophisticated modern luxury car in Mercedes-Benz’s global portfolio. Rolling out this flagship limousine from the assembly lines in India is a matter of immense pride for our entire production team. The local production of the most advanced S-Class also calls for an equally advanced production process and adherence to stringent global quality standards. The Made in India S-Class firmly underlines the significant progress we have accomplished in advanced manufacturing and innovation in production, over the past 27 years. With the roll-out of the new S-Class we continue to offer our discerning customers world-class products made in India.”
“For S-Class specific production, we have implemented host of new technologies and processes like augmented reality based technology used with holographic devices for online training of operators. A special assembly process for the door handle fitment has been created for the sophisticated seamless door handles. A new marriage concept makes the production process even more flexible. We have also moved to Hybrid technology with 48V Lithium-ion batteries in the manufacturing of the S450.” elaborated Mr. Arora highlighting some of the key production technologies and advancements involved in the S-Class production.
Top 13 highlights of the New S-Class 350 d and 450 4MATIC:
- High tech Car-to-X communication: The new S-Class captures potholes, speed bumps, slippery road, heavy rain, fog conditions, vehicle accidents and also allows general warning manual triggers for road safety hazards - notifying all other connected Mercedes-Benz cars of hazards in the vicinity. Notified via Mercedes-Benz cloud on the navigation system - the notifications are done both - visually as well as with audio alerts in case a vehicle is approaching in higher speeds. All this, in real time within seconds with cloud based Mercedes me connect technology
- Seamless Door Handles: These door handles are electrically extended when the driver approaches, or the outer surface of the door handle is touched
- NTG7 MBUX (Mercedes-Benz User Experience) debuts in the new S-Class. It sets a new standard as the interface between the driver, passengers, and the vehicle, with five screens on board. The computing power of MBUX has increased by 50% compared to the system in the earlier generation. Additionally, the MBUX Interior voice assistant “Hey Mercedes” can be controlled from the rear seats in the new S-Class.
- New Portrait styled OLED central display: The all-new portrait styled OLED head unit now provides a 64% larger screen area in high resolution providing an enriched and intuitive User Interface. The car also has a redesigned new digital instrument cluster of 12.3”
- New Rear MBUX touch tablet in the center console in addition to the twin screen MBUX Rear Seat Entertainment System
- Personalization with Mercedes me connect: Alongside the classic entry of a PIN, a new authentication method ensures a high level of security. Fingerprint and voice recognition are now combined. This allows instant access to individual profile settings the moment you get inside
- With Digital Lights you can experience ideal lighting conditions – optimally adjusted to other road users and the surrounding conditions.
- Leather interiors in waterfall design is offered in three shades – including the new Sienna Brown
- Rear massage seats functionality provide the best comfort levels and 10 different massage programs to choose from.
- Front seat kinetics are provided for tireless long drives
- The Burmester® 3D surround sound system with 15 speakers provide a total output of 710 Watts. The music and sound are dynamically adjusted to driving conditions with the Sophisticated vehicle noise compensation (VNC)
- 48.3-cm (19-inch) multi-twin-spoke light-alloy wheels aerodynamically optimized, painted in black with a high-sheen finish, with 255/45 R 19 tyres on 8.5J x 19 ET31.5 wheels.
- With safety always on top, the new S-Class now also has the Driving Assistance Package 5.0, latest generation the with new and improved functions
Technical specifications: Mercedes-Benz S-Class
|S 350 d 4MATIC||S 450 4MATIC|
|Engine||OM 656, In-line 6 cylinder
||M256, In-line 6 cylinder with 48 V technology
|Displacement||2925 cc||2999 cc|
|Rated output||210 kW (286hp) at 3600-4200 rpm||270 +16 kW (367hp) at 5500-6100 rpm
|Rated torque||600 Nm at 1200-3200 rpm
||500+250 Nm at 1600-4500 rpm
|Acceleration 0-100 km/h||5.4s||5.1s|
|Top speed||250 km/h||250 km/h|
|Length/width/height (in mm)||5289 /1954 /1503||5289 /1954 /1503|
|Wheelbase (in mm)||3216||3216|
Production highlights of the ‘Made in India, for India’ S-Class:
- More than 80 control units: More than 80 control units are electronically tested and initialized using state-of-art mobile testers in the New S-Class
- Contactless wheel alignment process: To enrich driving experience, contactless wheel alignment process is now introduced which guarantees automatic wheel alignment and ride height calibration for the AIRMATIC suspension systems. Thereby providing the customers with seamless transition between economy, comfort or sports suspensions
- New assembly process for the seamless door handles: The seamless door handles are a key attraction of the new S-Class. A completely new assembly process for seamless door handle fitment has been developed for ensuring enhanced customer comfort & aerodynamics of the car
- Use of new generation gluing robots: A new generation of gluing robots is now used which ensures a quick assembly process in addition.
Developing a sustainable production process:
Mercedes-Benz India is moving towards a completely sustainable production process in its aim towards becoming a carbon neutral production facility. Presently Mercedes-Benz India operates a paperless production unit with the extensive use of ‘Digital Job cards’ and shop floor management dashboard, which is steered digitally. The use of digitally connected technologies right from the trim and mechanical assembly ensures a further step towards sustainable shop floor operations. Various stages of vehicle testing and live synthesis of data are in line with Mercedes-Benz India’s pursuance of Industry 4.0 & MO360 – in creating a digitally driven factory. Mercedes-Benz Cars Operations 360 (MO360) makes complex vehicle production completely transparent and maximises its efficiency. The new digital ecosystem comprises a family of software applications which are connected via shared interfaces and standardized user interfaces. These applications use real-time data to support the worldwide vehicle production of Mercedes-Benz Cars.
Mercedes-Benz India operations to run on 100% Green Power by 2022
Sustainability remains the key focus area for Mercedes-Benz India, which include initiatives towards reducing waste, reduction in consumption of utilities including water, electricity and decarbonisation. As part of Mercedes-Benz’s global ‘Ambition 2039’, the company’s main objective is to make the production processes and supply chain carbon neutral. Towards this, efforts are made to make the Indian production facility operate on 100% ‘Green Power’ by 2022.
In 2020, Mercedes-Benz India finished the ambitious 1.6 MW solar power plant and are currently looking at another 2.0 MW by end of 2021. This would result in saving approximately 3700 Tons of Co2 per year. With such initiatives, Mercedes-Benz India aim towards realizing its ambition of making its production facility completely sustainable.
Website – www.mercedes-benz.co.in
Twitter – @MercedesBenzInd | Instagram – @mercedesbenzind
Media Contact: Mercedes-Benz India Pvt. Ltd.:-
Shekhar Das Chowdhury | firstname.lastname@example.org | +91 98508 36477
About Mercedes-Benz India
Mercedes-Benz India pioneered the luxury car market in India. Set up in 2009, Mercedes-Benz India’s world-class production facility is spread over 100 acres in Chakan near Pune. Since June 2015, Mercedes- Mercedes-Benz India. E-3, MIDC, Chakan. Tal: Khed. Pune- 410501, India. Tel: +91 2135 673000 / 395000, Fax: +91 2135 673953 Benz India also commenced production from its new expanded production facility located in the same premises. Mercedes-Benz India is part of MercedesBenz’s Global Production Network and plays an important role in the CKD/MVP production network in Brazil, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam.
At these locations, Mercedes-Benz produces vehicles in various extension levels for domestic markets. The production facility carries an investment of more than INR 2600 crores and has the largest installed production capacity for any luxury carmaker in India. Mercedes- Benz India also has the largest network spread amongst any luxury carmaker, with presence in 48 Indian cities with close to 100 outlets. Through the exclusive AMG Performance Centres located in six cities including New Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Kochi, and Pune, the AMG performance sub brand of Mercedes-Benz also boasts of a strong retail network presence in the country. Mercedes-Benz India now boast of the entire portfolio having ‘connected cars’. Mercedes-Benz India product portfolio comprises the locally produced Mercedes Maybach S 560, S-Class, E-Class Long Wheelbase, A-Class Limousine, C-Class and the GLA, GLC, GLC Coupé, long wheelbase GLE G350d and GLS luxury SUVs. Mercedes-Benz also locally manufactures three AMG models; the AMG GLC 43 4MATIIC Coupe, the AMG A 35 4MATIC saloon and the AMG GLA 35 4M SUV. Completely Built imported cars portfolio includes the EQC, V-Class, CLS, C-Class Cabriolet, the G 350d, the EQC and the exciting AMG range. In 2021 Mercedes-Benz’s motto is to ‘reimagine excellence’ and offer discerning customers the most desirable and sustainable products and services. MercedesBenz introduced the 2021 Mercedes me connect (Mmc) which is now equipped with new features deployed Over the Air (OTA) to all India customers with connected cars: Alexa Integration, Google Home Integration and Parking Solution POIs in Navigation. The company started 2021 with the launch of the S-Class ‘Maestro Edition’, it introduced the 2021 GLC, the New E-Class FL, A-Class Limousine, AMG A 35 4M saloon, all-new GLA and the AMG GLA 35 4M, the MercedesMaybach GLS 600 4MATIC and S 400 d 4MATIC and S 450 4MATIC. Mercedes-Benz India