Mercedes-Benz India launches its largest & most luxurious SUV, the new GLS - The S-Class of SUVs
Mercedes-Benz India launches its largest & most luxurious SUV, the new GLS - The S-Class of SUVs
- Mercedes me Connect App now available with new features. For the first time in India ‘Over the air’ updates in Mercedes me connected cars for existing customers also
- MBUX to show COVID-19 testing centres in the head units across key metros: Another local innovation support by MBRDI
Importance of GLS to India: “The GLS completes a decade in India and with more than 6700 units on Indian roads, it undoubtedly remains the most preferred full-size luxury SUV in its segment. The new GLS is the most luxurious SUV on offer from Mercedes-Benz in the Indian market and it will continue to remain an important pillar in Mercedes-Benz’s SUV portfolio.” Martin Schwenk
- 2010: Start of the GL-Class story in India with the launch of CBU GL-Class
- 2013: Local production of the GL-Class commenced in India
- 6700+ GLS’ on road in India till date | This the 3rd generation GLS
- Larger than its predecessor (length +77 mm | width +22 mm | wheelbase +60 mm | + 87 mm legroom for the second row seats)
- Key ‘Fit & Healthy’ elements: 5 Zone THERMOTRONIC AC, Tablet for rear MBUX operations, Chauffeur package, Active Seat Kinetics: provides energizing pulses for the front row passengers, reducing fatigue during long trips, 64 colour ambient lighting, Burmester surround sound system with 13 speakers for a soothing acoustic experience
- Available in: diesel 400 d 4MATIC and the petrol 450 4MATIC with a six-cylinder in-line engine | 450 4MATIC petrol is electrified with 48-volt EQ Boost
- New GLS with MBUX: Intuitive and versatile operating options such as touch control, contactless control and the optimized AI based voice control system
- STAR EASE service packages for the new GLS 450 4MATIC start @ INR 82,100/- and INR 98,800/- for the GLS 450 4MATIC for 2 years/unlimited kilometers
- The new Mercedes-Benz GLS 400 d 4MATIC and GLS 450 4MATIC are both priced at INR 99.90 Lacs (all prices are ex-showroom, India, except Kerala)
- New features in Mercedes me App: Geo fencing, Vehicle Finder, Remote operation of windows and sunroof
Pune: Mercedes-Benz, India’s largest luxury car manufacturer today launched the newest generation of the GLS – popularly referred to as the S-Class of SUVs. The new Mercedes-Benz GLS is the largest and most luxurious SUV from Mercedes-Benz and offers the customer more space, more comfort, more tech, and more luxury. The new GLS features the most cutting-edge technology offered by any SUV on Indian roads and combines luxury with the character of a true off-roader. The interiors of the new GLS combine the comfort of a Mercedes-Benz luxury saloon with progressive detailing of an SUV. The new GLS has a considerably longer wheelbase over its predecessor (3135 mm, an increase of 60 mm), offering more space (87 mm), especially in the second seat row, which can furthermore be adjusted fore and aft.
Martin Schwenk, Managing Director and CEO, Mercedes-Benz India digitally launched the GLS at the company’s Centre of Excellence in Chakan, Pune.
Mr. Schwenk commented, “Combining luxury, comfort, and technology, the Mercedes-Benz GLS is the finest luxury SUV available in the market today. As a full-size seven-seater SUV, the new GLS offers significantly more space and an added legroom for passengers, especially for those in the second row. The GLS is also equipped with the latest generation of the MBUX infotainment system and fully connected via our Mercedes me Connect Services, making it a tech-savvy SUV. The interior of the GLS is a synthesis of modern, luxurious aesthetics, hallmark SUV practicality. In our view, the new GLS is an ideal blend of modern luxury with the characteristics of an off-roader.”
“Mercedes me connect App also gets an all-new user interface and an additional new Service App that offers a seamless online experience. The new Mercedes me App with highly intuitive User Interface is being rolled-out for all Mercedes me connect owners starting 1st July 2020. This new App provides a platform to offer new features that are capable of Over the Air updates. We will be shortly rolling-out Geo-fencing, vehicle finder and remote open-close of windows and sunroof.” commented Mr. Schwenk.
“Our colleagues at MBRDI have supported with a local innovation, which now enables all MBUX NTG 6 head units to display COVID Testing Centres in the navigation pane. This innovation underlines how fast Mercedes-Benz can react and help customers using technology. This data will be available for all the major cities including Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Bangalore, Hyderabad, and Pune. This has been achieved in association with MapmyIndia.”
Powertrain: petrol engine has integrated starter-generator and EQ Boost
Powerful six-cylinder engines deliver the motoring comfort and effortlessly superior power that suits the characteristics of this luxurious car. However, the Mercedes-Benz GLS 450 4MATIC comes with a six-cylinder in-line engine electrified with 48-volt technology and integrated starter-generator (ISG). Its performance data: 270 kW (367 hp) and 500 Nm of torque, with a further 250 Nm of torque and 16 kW/22 hp available. The integrated starter-generator (ISG) is responsible for hybrid functions such as EQ Boost or energy recuperation while allowing fuel savings that were previously reserved for high-voltage hybrid technology.
Aerodynamics: detailed fine-tuning for the best Cd figure in this class
The new GLS achieves cd figures as low as 0.32 - a clear improvement compared with its predecessor (cd 0.35) and an impressively low figure in the large luxury SUV segment. The excellent aerodynamics help to firstly reduce fuel consumption and secondly limit wind noise, one of the areas on which development work focused specifically.
The new range of engines: powerful efficiency
GLS 400 d 4MATIC
|GLE 450 4MATIC (EQ Boost)|
BS VI In-Line/6 Cylinder
BS VI In-Line/6 Cylinder
270/367 (+ 16 kW/22 hp)
500 (+ 250 Nm)
- Active Park Assist with 360 degree surround view camera
- Driver Assistant System: Blind Spot-Assist & Active Brake Assist
- 9 Airbags
- Downhill Speed Regulation (DSR)
- Off-road ABS
- Car Wash Function
- Expression Interior Package with 64 color ambient lighting
- High-gloss anthracite lime wood trim
- All new Multifunction sports steering wheel in Nappa leather
- Memory Package Front with Seat Kinetics
- THERMOTRONIC 5-zone automatic climate control
- Rear Comfort Package Plus with extended center console and luxury head restraints
- Electric sun blinds in the rear doors
- Front passenger seat operation from the rear
- Electrically adjustable second seat row
- Electrically folding seat backrests in second and third seat row with one-touch operation
- Easy Entry System for third seat row
- AIRMATIC Level control for unloading heavy luggage
- EASY-PACK tailgate and luggage cover
Telematics and Infotainment:
- Burmester® surround sound system
- 31.2 cm (12.3”) x 2 Widescreen Cockpit with touch
- MBUX multimedia system (NTG6) with "Hey Mercedes" and HDD Navigation (3D)
- MBUX Interior Assistant – Contactless Gesture Control
- Pre-Installation of Rear Seat Entertainment System
- Wireless Charging (Front and Rear)
- MBUX rear tablet (retractable)
- Additional USB ports in the rear
- Mercedes me connect
Connected Car technology with the New GLS:
Mercedes-Benz India is announcing a new face of its connected car technology with the launch of new GLS. Mercedes Me Connect App gets an all-new user interface and a new Mercedes me Service App that offers seamless Online Appointment Booking. The new interface is sharper and easier to consume and the new map interface comes with colored 3D map layouts. It also has Biometric ID access for unlocking the car. The Mercedes me App not only looks good but also keeps the customer connected always, regardless of the physical location. The new Mercedes me App with intuitive User Interface is being rolled-out for all Mercedes me connect owners starting 1st July 2020. The consumers only need to upgrade their existing Mmc apps once they receive a notification on their current app.
New Mercedes me Connect features: benefits all existing Mercedes owners
- All GLS customers and existing Mercedes customers will receive new and exciting Mmc features OTA
- Geofencing: Set a perimeter for the car’s movement and receive notifications
- Opening and closing of car windows remotely from anywhere
- Vehicle Finder: Enables the car’s horn and flashes the lights.
Corona Testing Centres in Navigation System through MBUX:
NTG 6 navigation system with MBUX will now feature Corona Testing Centres as Points of Interest for customers. All Mercedes-Benz Mmc customers can now find out COVID-19 Testing Centres as POI in the navigation. MBUX will also be able to show the direction to Corona Testing Centers in select cities as a POI.
MBRDI engineers at Bangalore have achieved this breakthrough in association with MapmyIndia, which is a leading service provider of maps.
This data will be available for all the major cities including Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Bangalore, Hyderabad, and Pune.
Media Contacts: Mercedes-Benz India Pvt. Ltd.:
Shekhar Das Chowdhury | firstname.lastname@example.org | +91 98508 36477
Vignesh Shankar | email@example.com | +91 77740 36269
Chhaya Tiwari | firstname.lastname@example.org | +91 9594746903
About Mercedes-Benz India
Mercedes-Benz India, which celebrated its 25th anniversary in India in 2019, pioneered the luxury car market in the country. Set up in 2009, Mercedes-Benz India’s world-class production facility is spread over 100 acres in Chakan near Pune. Since June 2015, Mercedes-Benz India also commenced production from its new expanded production facility located in the same premises. Mercedes-Benz India is part of Mercedes-Benz’s Global Production Network and plays an important role in the CKD/MVP production network in Brazil, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam. At these locations, Mercedes-Benz produces vehicles in various extension levels for domestic markets. The production facility carries an investment of more than INR 2,200 crores and has the largest installed production capacity for any luxury carmaker in India. Mercedes-Benz India also has the largest network spread amongst any luxury carmaker, with presence in 48 Indian cities through 99 outlets.
Through the exclusive AMG Performance Centres located in six cities including New Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Kochi, and Pune, the AMG performance sub-brand of Mercedes-Benz also boasts of a strong retail network presence in the country. October 2019 also marked the introduction of Mercedes me connect and e-Commerce platform, the new digital initiatives for the best customers experience in India. Mercedes-Benz India now boast of the entire portfolio having ‘connected cars’. Mercedes-Benz India is the first Indian carmaker to rollout a BS VI vehicle (S 350d) ‘Made in India, for India’ in January 2018.
Mercedes-Benz India product portfolio comprises the locally produced Mercedes Maybach S 560, S-Class, E-Class Long Wheelbase, CLA, C-Class and the GLA, GLC, GLC Coupé, long wheelbase GLE G350d and GLS luxury SUVs. Completely Built imported cars portfolio includes the V-Class Marco Polo, CLS, C-Class Cabriolet, the G 350d and the exciting AMG range.
‘Restless for Tomorrow’ is Mercedes-Benz India’s mantra for 2020. Today’s Indians are increasingly redefining themselves. This generation is not defined by age; restlessness is a state of mind, not a date of birth. They are restless and so is our brand. Mercedes-Benz India also took a firm step towards Electro mobility with the launch of ‘EQ’ brand in India in January 2020. Mercedes-Benz launched the AMG GT 63S 4MATIC+ 4 Door Coupé and the V-Class Marco Polo and also unveiled the New Mercedes-AMG A 35 4MATIC and the New GLA SUV at the 15th Auto Expo. The GLC Coupé was launched in March, which was also Mercedes-Benz India’s 10th CKD product in India. Mercedes-AMG also strengthened its portfolio in India with the launch of the AMG C 63 Coupe and the AMG GT R in May-2020.